When it comes to being environmentally friendly, the first thing that pops to a lot of folks’ minds is recycling! Sort your garbage! And they aren’t wrong. But there are tons more ways to benefit the earth, like composting! It is definitely more work than throwing everything into the lovely blue bin, but there are tons of perks that come with it:
- Fortifies the soil by helping retain moisture and suppress plant diseases/pests
- No need for chemical fertilizer when it’s all natural
- Helps grow beneficial bacteria and fungi that creates humus (a nutrient-filled material)
- Reduces methane emissions from landfills
- Lowers your carbon footprint!
If you need some help, here’s a wonderful collection of pictures that breaks down composting into real simple, easy steps to follow!
(There are some other adventurous ways to try composting!)
And just a quick FAQ: